To promote the orderly growth of standardization, labeling and quality certification of commodities and other related purposes, the BIS was established in 2016 as the National Standard Body of India by the BIS Act 2016.
Through standardization, certification, and testing, BIS has helped the national economy in many ways, such as ensuring the availability of safe, reliable, and quality goods; reducing the risk of harm to consumers; increase in export and import volume; and limiting the spread of new varieties.
With regard to the interests of consumers as well as industry, BIS is involved in various activities as indicated below:
- formulation of standards
- Product Certification System
- Mandatory Registration Scheme
- Certification program for foreign manufacturers
- hall marking scheme
- laboratory services
- laboratory recognition system
- Sale of Indian standards
- consumer protection activities
- Training services at national and international level
- information services
The five regional offices of the BIS are located in Kolkata (east), Chennai (south), Mumbai (west), Chandigarh (north) and Delhi (central) (Central). Branch Offices (BOs) are subordinate to Regional Offices and provide certification services to businesses and the general public.
They are located in the cities of Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Bhubaneswar, BhopaSl, Coimbatore, Dehradun, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kochi, Lucknow, Nagpur, Parwanoo, Patna, Pune, Rajkot, Raipur, Durgapur,
What is the full form of BIS?
The full form of BIS is the Bureau of Indian Standards. BIS is India’s national standards body, operating under the aegis of the Government of India’s Department of Consumer Affairs, Nutrition and Public Distribution. It was established by the Bureau of Indian Standards Act of 1986 which came into effect on December 23, 1986. The Minister responsible for the administrative oversight of the department or agency by the BIS is the ex-officio President of the BIS.
CONTINUE READING: Is it safe to use the Elza Energy app in 2022?
The regional office of the BIS
The head office is in New Delhi. BIS has five regional offices in the various cities of the nations,
- Calcutta and
Main objectives of the BIS
- Harmonious implementation of labeling and consistency assurance standardization
- Promote consistency and quality control
- Create a strategic plan for identifying standards and aligning them with production and trade growth.
Main functions of BIS
- One of the main functions of BIS is the development, identification and promotion of Indian standards.
- As of January 1, 2019, BIS has created over 20,000 principles that are in effect.
- These cover key financial segments that help companies increase product quality and service providers.
- BIS listed 15 industries of importance to the Indian sector. It has a separate Indian Standard Development Departmental Council to oversee and oversee the activities.
- The criteria are regularly reviewed and evolved to ensure compliance with global standards in line with technological advances.
CONTINUE READING: Rupee4click: One of the Best Online Data Entry Service Companies in India Among the best online data entry companies in India
Benefits of BIS
The BIS supports the country’s economy in a variety of ways:
- Provides consumers with safe, consistent quality products
- Reduces security risks for customers
- Promotes the import and export of substitutes